+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Add row' buttons in rosters

'Add row' buttons in rosters

AMENDED FROM A USER QUESTION: If I preload a list of names into a table, I lose the ability to add new names to the list (the Add Row button). In my case, this would mean that if a new person joined the household, they could not be easily included in the same household roster table.

Even if you preload a list of names into your household roster, you can still use the ‘Add Row’ functionality. Simply make sure that this option is ticked under the roster ‘Properties’ section. Please see the relevant section in the Surveybe Designer manual for more information on building rosters.

Show Add Row Button / Show Delete Row Button – tick these options if you’d like interviewers to be able to add or delete rows to/from the roster during the interview. This is always needed for rosters without defined Item Lists, such as household member rosters, as described above. However, if you have a roster which is asking about a predefined list of consumption items or assets, for example, you may want to untick these options so that interviewers cannot add to or take away the predefined list of items about which the roster is asking. (page 83) (reference: manual section 3.6 Building rosters )

Hi All,

Having read this I thought it may be useful if I posted an overview of what you need you need to do achieve the pre-population of a roster (The Designer manual will fill in the details):

Outside of surveybe:
    • Create a .csv containing the data you want to populate your dynamic roster with. This file should have column headings and one or more rows of data.
    In surveybe:
    • Use the ‘Data’ tab to define your reference table and import the file.
    • Create a table for your roster using the ‘Data’ tab. Use the SQL Data Select box to select data from the reference table pre-populate your roster.
    Tip: Your SQL can be simpler than that in the manual if all of the data comes from it and you want all of the rows from your reference table. For example “SELECT column_ID1 AS question_ID1, column_ID2 AS question_ID2 FROM Reference_Table”
    • Create your roster using this table and the question ID’s you have used in the data select.

Tip: If you want data to appear in your roster rows, but not to be updatable, make the questions ‘Read Only’.

Tip: If data is missing from your questions check the SQL question ID’s exactly match those used on the roster. It’s easy to make a mistake and they can’t be validated by the application as the question ID’s don’t exist when you’re writing the SQL!

Important:
    • It is good practice to use reference data whenever possible to allow re-use and to ensure consistency between questionnaires.
    • If you allow interviewers to add rows and to update data fields in reference data you need to think carefully about how these data changes will be handled in the data analysis and how the updating of central reference data will be managed if you are moving into subsequent phases.

+ Reply to Thread